The weather could not have been more idyllic. Sunny but the sun demurely peaked through the tall lush canopy of Redwoods (Sequoia sempervirens) and Coast Douglas Firs (Pseudotsuga menziesii var.menziesii). Not much wind. Cool but with no bite. No humidity. the paths were cushioned by fallen leaves. We could hear the odd chirping of birds calling one another somewhere far up. Only the occasional hikers reminded us we were not alone in this verdant cloister of majestic trunks and lush ferns. Even they padded quietly as if out of respect for the centuries old inhabitants.
It was the end of our Thanksgiving weekend. But, the hike reminded us even more how blessed we are.
- Visit The Redwoods (likeitiz.wordpress.com)
- Roy’s Redwoods (doctorfern.org)
- Video: Let’s Go Hover Through The Redwoods (sfist.com)
- Redwoods Record Ancient Ocean Climate (ecobooks4kids.wordpress.com)
- Hike No. 22 – Hiking in the Clouds (imoverthehill.com)