We were considering a new trail to hike this weekend. My hubby mentioned he wanted to visit the Redwoods. This coming from the member of the family who has teased me of being the tree-hugger!
We chose to visit the Thornwood Open Space Preserve, somewhere between La Honda and Woodside. The trails are not so steep and there was a small lake to provide interest.
And so, off we went heading south on HWY 280. We made our way to Old La Honda Road, through windy narrow parts and hairpin turns. My, my, my! There are some beautiful homes edging the Preserve. And horse farms galore too!
It was a cool morning with no wind. The ground smelled of fallen leaves, a mix of evergreens and some eucalyptus nearby, cushioning our climb as we padded up and around some bends. The sun peaked between the towering trunks that seemed to stretch out to grab the blue skies.
We saw a few hikers. Some went in pairs with their dogs. There was also a hiking group who had folding seats and food baskets. I guess they were going to picnic somewhere among the Redwoods or near Schilling Lake.
It was a great morning to get us all limbered up, stretched, and going up and down the trails. Have you had a chance to be outdoors lately?
- Roy’s Redwoods (doctorfern.org)
- The Thursday Picture – Second Growth Redwoods (imoverthehill.com)
- Bay Area Ride Report (Oleg) (descenders.org)
- California Dreaming: Tall and Old (bodeblog2013.wordpress.com)
- Redwoods Record Ancient Ocean Climate (ecobooks4kids.wordpress.com)
- Got a little lost.. (tkernsite.wordpress.com)
- FKTs Are So Hot Right Now! (runjmc.com)