Trying To Be A Guard Dog

This week’s Daily Post Photo Challenge is “In The Background.”  I looked at my stockpile of photos and found some good ones but when I went to FRIZZTEXT‘s interpretation of the challenge, I was inspired!

Guard Dog at the Door, Photo Credit (c) Likeitiz

Guard Dog at the Door, Photo Credit (c) Likeitiz

We all get too comfortable with our pets that they are ubiquitous in our lives.  We sometimes walk over them when they’re laying down. Or when they decide to “lounge” in, say, the family room, we sometimes shut the lights or the doors without considering they’re there! We don’t see them anymore. They have become part of the furniture!

Since last night, Beau has been relegated to the entrance of our bedroom.  My hubby had a procedure done and needs to rest without the dog coming at him wanting to play, wrestle, snuggle, or even lie with him.  And so, I have laid out some blankets at the door.  I decided not to drag his bed there because he might just get too comfy and assume it’s business as usual and…..

Guard Dog at the Door, fashion Effects, (c) Likeitiz

Guard Dog at the Door, fashion Effects, (c) Likeitiz

Since last night, it’s been like pulling teeth trying to even get him to go out for a walk or eat or do his business under the Redwoods.  I would have to call repeatedly, forcefully at times, even cajole, and bribe with a treat.

Guard Dog at the Door, Ansel Effect, (c) Likeitiz

Guard Dog at the Door, Ansel Effect, (c) Likeitiz

We think he’s trying to be the guard dog his breed is programmed to be.  Well, based on these photos, he’s not about to convince anyone, huh?

This entry was posted in Daily Post Challenge, dog, DPChallenge, Great Dane, Guard Dog, Pets, Wordpress Community and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to Trying To Be A Guard Dog

1. Pingback: The Weekly Photo Challenge: Trial 5 – The skier | Through the Eye of Bastet

2. Pingback: What Not To Say | Not the Family Business!

3. Pingback: Beau At The Window | Not the Family Business!

4. lidipiri says:

Beau is just adorable!!!!!! He should have his own blog. 🙂

Hahaha! A couple of people have said that but I already have my hands full with this blog and enjoying everyone else’s blog in our WordPress community. 😀

5. A guard dog is more than just a dog, they are part of our family that makes us laugh, smile, even scratch our head.

6. Pingback: WPC background | What's (in) the picture?

7. Pingback: The Weekly Photo Challenge: Trial 4 – The skier | Bastet and Sekhmet

8. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Internal Reflection of the Background | Humbled Pie

9. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Internal Reflection of the Background | Humbled Pie

10. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Trial 4 – The Coop (27 May 2013) | Bastet and Sekhmet

11. Madhu says:

Aww he is gorgeous 🙂

12. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: In the Background | blogagaini

13. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: In the Background (Power) | What's (in) the picture?

14. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Trial 3 – The Bakery Shop (27 May, 2013) | Bastet and Sekhmet

15. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Trial 2 – Lido Café | Bastet and Sekhmet

16. seeker says:

Nope, unless he has his fangs showing 😆

17. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: In the Background (Next) | What's (in) the picture?

18. Awe. he is gorgeous, beautiful coat. I love your wall paper! Thanks for liking my challenge, Sally

19. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: In the Background (Marks and Spencer) | What's (in) the picture?

20. i had an irish setter once-i knew if my brother and his friends had driven down from CT because the dog would be under the bed and my brother and his friends sprawled around the house. she was only a watched dog when it was someone she knew.

21. vastlycurious.com says:

My 2 1/2 lb Alpha guard dog is being put to rest this coming Tuesday. They do weave their way into ours lives . Beau is beautiful

22. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Trial 1 – The cupboard | Bastet and Sekhmet

23. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: In the Background | Memory Catcher

24. Thanks for linking back to Ruby the black labrador. Beau looks gorgeous and you’re right, sometimes our pets do seem part of the furniture – especially when they’re lying on it!

25. What a big and beautiful dog! I have had to step around my Lab today, she has to lay in my office right in my path. It’s like dodging a big landmine each time I get up.

26. Mariane says:

You made me smile by the story of your dog, I know it so well 😀 and yeah to be in the background is something one have to think of if one is an animal 😉 . Great story from the reality – Thank you so much!!!

27. Pingback: #WPC: In The Background | Far Away