Garage Sale Finds From Long Ago

Things Found in Garage Sales, photo credit (c) Likeitiz

Things Found in Garage Sales, photo credit (c) Likeitiz

Today’s Daily Prompt is about Memories for Sale.

On a weekend road trip, far away from home, you stumble upon a garage sale in a neighborhood you’re passing through. Astonished, you find an object among the belongings for sale that you recognize. Tell us about it.

I don’t have to pretend to do this. My hubby and I used to stop and browse through these.

Back in the mid-80’s, when we were newly married, newly moved to Toronto, newly settled in our apartment, newly adjusted to Ontario’s four seasons (We came from a place where there were two seasons: hot/dry and rainy season), we would venture out of Toronto on the weekends to get to know our new stomping ground and the surrounding parts.  Sometimes, we would come across garage sales. Or, we would spot little antique shops, usually out of someone’s home in the country, really, not like the sophisticated and fully secured structures downtown that would rival Fort Knox.  These were small homegrown enterprises. They called these locales, “cottage country.”

Over the years, we picked up a few items that have slowly shaped the feel and flavor of our homes. (Through our marriage, we have lived in 12 homes. Our current one has been our home the longest so far.)  This morning, I walked around the house and I chose three finds as featured above.

The typewriter is heavy, well-built and sturdy. I can’t get it to work anymore. The keys stick. The return is not consistent. And I lost one of the covers for the back leg.  I’ve been wondering where I can have it restored.  Does anyone know?  I’m in Northern California now. Not Halliburton, Ontario.  Anyone know any tinkerers?

The teapot says “Japan” on its base.  It probably adorned many a cold wintry evening somewhere.  We used it for our tea while we burned the midnight oil studying for our medical qualifying exams.  After several moves and newer, prettier teapots, it was retired. It now sits at the back of a top cupboard shelf with many other “previously loved” items.

The candle stands were a find. We found them somewhere in Quebec. Very French. Great piece of work.  Interesting details.  I remember using them a lot when our power would go out and we would bundle up our little daughter, and we would sit by the fireplace for warmth. That was more than 20 years ago.

Such are the memories these finds bring whenever I see them scattered around our home. They will remain a part of our household for as long as I can still house them. Then, will I find them new homes one day?  When I can’t take care of them anymore, I suppose.

This entry was posted in Antiques, DPChallenge, Garage Sale, Memorabilia, Memories, Wordpress Community, Writing and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Garage Sale Finds From Long Ago

1. prior says:

well I am on your blog today looking for an image and I have had fun scrolling some back posts – and even though I saw this post earlier in the year – well scrolling today – that teapot reminded me of a set we inherited when we were newly married – my husband’s aunt gave us her Pfaltzgraff set from her first marriage – and I never liked the set – (even though I like your teapot and love that Japan blue…) and with our set, which is different, well I appreciated the quality – but the heavy ceramic was horrible – and when we moved from that first house – our neighbors happened to have the same set of Pfaltzgraff (along with many other dish sets – whew) and we offered them our set and they LOVED it – lol
    anyhow, enjoyed coming back to peek at your cherished finds… 🙂 ( “previously loved”)

You found a new home for the Pfaltzgraffs! Lucky you! Lucky them too! At least you know they will be enjoyed. Yes , older pieces were heavier. My mom used to say they were built better. “Sturdier,” she said. Well, they have indeed lasted. But they’re not easy on the hands, when lifting or washing or putting away.

I too need to unload one of these days. The operative word is “simplify.”

• prior says:

yes, simplify – 🙂
        and I try to not use a microwave any more – but still do for very few things – but back int he 90’s – I sued it a lot and those darn dishes got way too hot and well, I just remember hating them for so many reasons…. and for the last 6 or 7 years – by favorite for everyday use has been crate and barrel – esp. their “essential mug” – seriously – it is “perfect” ha!

Liked by 1 person

2. i have two framed prints from the 1800’s – on long & narrow of flowers and the other roses on sheet music. i bought them both for less than $5.00. wherever i go, they go. i know i could put them in nicer frames but somehow it diminish them in my eyes. i love them the way they are. my other two finds are two little enamel ware pails. funny the finds that end up in the closet and those that you have to always have in sight.

3. Fun, exciting. Garage sales offers more what Malls don’t have…adventure and warm memories.

4. I recently bought a typewriter so I could HEAR it : ))) YEP!

5. I love these items, they are beautiful.

6. frizztext says:

I like the typewriter!

Somehow I knew you would! Would you have it restored of you owned it? I’m so tempted to.

• frizztext says:

when children, grandchildren etc. are visiting our home, then they immediately run to my old typewriters, calling for blank paper, beginning to write, testing, what a feeling grandpa had …
        P.S.:
        thank you for: “… History books as they have been written, has always been one-sided… Magellan was nothing but an invader, representing an opportunist society in need of many things such as silk, tea, spices, tobacco eventually…”

7. Bastet says:

Wonderful treasures! Loved their story and yours…thanks for the sharing.

Wonderful objects, I couldn’t bear to part with them. I love how you’re written about them, thank you!