Sometime before 2013 arrived, the Daily Challenge called attention to 2012 coming to an end. If we were to fill a time capsule, what would we put in it to remember 2012 by, they asked. I’ve been mulling over this. Certainly, this year has been quite tumultuous in many ways. For me, my family, our country, the world. Here’s what I would like to place in my time capsule for 2012:
I would purchase a tablet and load it with the following:
1. Podcasts from the public radio family such as NPR and KQED, to chronicle the Arab Spring, the tumultuous US presidential election, the various massacres (Aurora, Newtown, Webster, Aurora, Oak Creek, Seattle, Tulsa, Oakland, etc.) and the blatant disregard of the NRA to come to the table and discuss sensibly how things need to change, the notable people who have left us, the conversation around women’s rights including rape, contraception, abortion including the publicly verbal rape of Sandra Fluke by Limbaugh, the rape of the yet unnamed Indian woman, the attempted murder of Malala Yousafzai, the cheap deceit of the Komen Foundation on Planned Parenthood, Pussy Riots, Todd Akin’s faux pas, to name a few. I will include disasters like Hurricane Sandy but I will show stories of loss but also of heroism. I will also include the wins–the opening of Myanmar’s doors, the Olympics, the first person to be cured of AIDS, the rise of the Tablets, the plug-in cars, recognition of alternative energy, Healthcare upheld by the Supreme Court, the discovery of the Higgs Boson particle, increased support for same-sex marriage, again, to name a few.
2. I will include movies that I found engaging, entertaining, visually captivating, some with great content. Some of these are Life of Pi, Dark Knight Rises, Skyfall, Lincoln, Zero Dark Thirty, Moonrise Kingdom, Men in Black 3, Argo, To Rome with Love, Anna Karenina, Salmon Fishing in Yemen, Exotic Marigold Hotel. These are only for movies we were able to watch. With work and travel, we missed quite a few, like Amour and The Master. We try to catch the good ones when they are on TV. Where we live, there are no cinemas showing foreign film. So, we tend to wait for them to go on Netflix or On-Demand. Now that I have Amazon Prime, I’ll be looking for them there too.
3. Photos and videos of our travels and our family gatherings to mark significant events, including the arrival of Beau, Agnes’ big 6-0, Merle’s retirement, Pinky’s 50th, Richard and Pinky’s 25th, Lara’s trip to Iceland, among a few.
4. My favorite reads. Of course!
5. My blog posts. Some blogs I’ve been visiting.
6. Social Media: I will upload pages of Facebook so people can see what all the hoopla is about.
7. Music and music videos. Highlights of great artists and some favorites over time. Are we sick and tired of Gangnam style yet? Or “Call Me Maybe” and all the spoofs on YouTube. They do seem to have been pervasive in 2012, whether we like them or not.
8. My recipes. The tried and true ones.
That’s all I could think of. There are no other items to enclose. Most can be uploaded onto a Tablet.