I heard on the news yesterday that a much admired and loved icon, Nora Ephron, has prematurely passed away at the age of 71. She had been battling Acute Myeloid Leukemia, according to members of her family. I, for one, will miss her wit, her insights, her brazen depictions and discussions of women’s longings, frustrations, oppressions, and all those other issues that many a “proper” woman of the Victorian era would never deign to express, let alone allow herself to imagine. She wrote about, filmed, directed, and produced many essays, books, screenplays, and films about women and their inner turmoils, triumphs, and unique predicaments, in such comic and endearing fashion. Lisa Belkin of The Huffington Post wrote that Ephron wrote like she knew us. Like she was us.
I’ve read some of her books like “I Feel Bad About My Neck” and “I Remember Nothing (And Other Reflections)” I’ve read many of her essays. Her movies are among my favorites, some of which I admit to watching more than once. Okay, even more than twice! In fact, some of them are my feel-good or “It’s-too-cold-to-go-out” movies. The ones that come to mind quickly are Silkwood, Sleepless in Seattle, You’ve Got Mail, When Harry Met Sally, Heartburn, Hanging Up, Julie and Julia.
I wish I had the opportunity to watch her plays. I hope there will be future productions of them. I think I will watch some of her movies again this weekend. Maybe leaf through the pages of her books…..
Nora Ephron, if we have not said it enough in your lifetime, “Bravo!” And, “Thank you.” We will miss you!
- Life Lessons From Nora Ephron (huffingtonpost.com)
- Nora Ephron, Talented Screenwriter, Passes Away (hark.com)
- Tributes: Nora Ephron (wnyc.org)
- Nora Ephron, Writer-Director of Sleepless in Seattle, Dies at Age 71 (people.com)
- Prolific writer Nora Ephron dead at 71 (news.blogs.cnn.com)
- Nora Ephron (1941-2012) (thefilmexperience.net)
- Screenwriter Nora Ephron Dead at Age 71 (pbs.org)
- Thank You Nora Ephron – RIP (bilerico.com)
- In Memory Of: the Talented Giant Nora Ephron!! (wasialife.wordpress.com)
- You: Nora Ephron Dead at 71 (thedailybeast.com)