Children Of The Rainbow

view of Oslo city after July 2011 bombing

view of Oslo after July 2011 bombing courtesy of Wikipedia

Last week, on All Things Considered, there was news that on a rainy morning in Oslo, 40,000 people gathered together and sang a children’s’ song called “Children of the Rainbow.”  Big crowds gathered in other towns and cities across Norway, summoned by a Facebook campaign.

It is said that the song is much despised by Anders Behring Breivik, the accused mass murderer responsible for the death of 77 people, most of them teens, the youngest of which was only 14 years old.

Here is the Oslo event as captured on YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkbI-50bKXA.

Rainbow oslo

Rainbow over Oslo courtesy of Flickr

They said that Breivik hates this song and disapproves that it is sung in most of the Norway’s schools.  He believes the song will brainwash children to accept as the norm, a Marxist plot to promote multiculturalism.  He wants to rid his country of Muslim immigrants, he claims.

The song is supposed to be a Norwegian version of Pete Seeger’s song, “My Rainbow Race” as adapted and popularized by Lillebjoern Nilsen.  Here’s an excerpt of the refrain taken from the Huffington Post:

“…Sky full of stars, blue sea as far as you can see;

An earth where flowers grow, can you wish for more?

Together shall we live, every sister, brother

Young children of the rainbow, a fertile land.”

I am so inspired and heartened by the innocence and hope that radiates from this simple act of coming together and singing a children’s song.  It seems such a simple but resounding statement of solidarity against the senseless violence that Breivik has claimed responsibility for.  No amount of self-righteous indignation from him can counter such humility, innocence and purity emanating from the act.

Hey, I’d like to learn the song and sing along! And by singing along with everyone else, I want to express to Mr. Breivik my utmost disagreement with his beliefs and intense disapproval of his actions.

This entry was posted in Culture, Mass Murder, murder, Norway, Politics, Religious Freedom, Religious Freedoms and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Children Of The Rainbow

1. I like to sing along too…for we are all children of the rainbow.

2. Malou says:

Beautiful post, Mary-Ann! A Dutch politician (Geert Wilders) is at the moment fomenting the culture of hate for foreigners, Muslims in particular. Watching war movies these days (especially as the 4th of May is observed here as the Day of Remembrance to honor those who gave up their lives for freedom), I can’t help but be horrified at how fellow human beings can be that cruel. When people starts to discriminate on the basis of race and it is allowed to progress, the situation can lead to catastrophic end.

3. “Together shall we live, every sister, brother

Young children of the rainbow, a fertile land.” An inspiring song, filled with hope that we can , as a family bring peace and end violence and evil around us. Let this song echo. Let it remind people of what terrorism and disregard for life can do to anyone of us. Let us all unite and head on pursue a future that embraces peace, kindness, hope, even happiness that every person truly deserves. Thanks for sharing this. Stay blessed my friend.

If this man wanted the attention of the world, he’s got. What a horrible crime he committed!
    I wonder how he can live with himself . . . .
    By singing this song we should think about it what we leave for the children of this world.
    Thanks, Mary-Ann, for bringing all this to our notice.

It is unfortunate to hear that he has filed testimony clearly expressing his convictions justifying his actions. I can only hope or his enlightenment, even in the privacy of his mind.

The idea of of this many people coming together to sing a children’s song to promote multiculturalism and tolerance is just amazing. And, like you said, inspiring. I love that they chose a song that irks Breivik, too. Perfect!

Thanks for this post. As a Norwegian myself it really touched my heart – particularly right now since I am not in Norway. Any self-righteous indignation that results in atrocities are not acceptable. Unfortunately it seems like people all over the world have less and less tolerance and understanding for each others differences. The cruel actions of Anders Behring Breivik are the worst in Norway since the second world war – which of course seen in a perspective of the world is just a drop in the ocean. Nevertheless it is not acceptable. Thank you!

Never just a drop in the ocean! A life is a life. I know in some parts of the world, this is not the case. And so, I will continue to write about it until people listen.

Otto, did you hear about one of the victims’ siblings interrupting court today when he threw one of his shoes at the defendant, as a gesture of his utmost disapproval and disgust? Bravo! Anders Breivik will go down in history among a list of people who have had shoes thrown at them. Another person who come to mind is the former President G.W. Bush.

7. WordsFallFromMyEyes says:

This is such a worthwhile post. You know, I relished reading this. It truly made me happy for the human spirit. My God, we are quite strong aren’t we? – united.

77 deaths, mostly teens? Teens? What possesses some people, I just do not understand. Why why why. To lose a child like that, after raising them, driving them to school, to footy, watching a movie with them
    – then taken. Stolen. Ripped from planet earth. This is just so sad. Bless these people.

8. lidipiri says:

I love that you bring to our attention things that otherwise we may not look into! Though, All Things Considered is one of my favorite radio shows. 🙂 Thanks for bringing this to us.

I’m glad you like it! I was so taken by the clamor from the people of Norway. The acts of violence were senseless and heinous. The song and the singing was such a contrast. I could not ignore it!