Last week, on All Things Considered, there was news that on a rainy morning in Oslo, 40,000 people gathered together and sang a children’s’ song called “Children of the Rainbow.” Big crowds gathered in other towns and cities across Norway, summoned by a Facebook campaign.
It is said that the song is much despised by Anders Behring Breivik, the accused mass murderer responsible for the death of 77 people, most of them teens, the youngest of which was only 14 years old.
Here is the Oslo event as captured on YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkbI-50bKXA.
They said that Breivik hates this song and disapproves that it is sung in most of the Norway’s schools. He believes the song will brainwash children to accept as the norm, a Marxist plot to promote multiculturalism. He wants to rid his country of Muslim immigrants, he claims.
The song is supposed to be a Norwegian version of Pete Seeger’s song, “My Rainbow Race” as adapted and popularized by Lillebjoern Nilsen. Here’s an excerpt of the refrain taken from the Huffington Post:
“…Sky full of stars, blue sea as far as you can see;
An earth where flowers grow, can you wish for more?
Together shall we live, every sister, brother
Young children of the rainbow, a fertile land.”
I am so inspired and heartened by the innocence and hope that radiates from this simple act of coming together and singing a children’s song. It seems such a simple but resounding statement of solidarity against the senseless violence that Breivik has claimed responsibility for. No amount of self-righteous indignation from him can counter such humility, innocence and purity emanating from the act.
Hey, I’d like to learn the song and sing along! And by singing along with everyone else, I want to express to Mr. Breivik my utmost disagreement with his beliefs and intense disapproval of his actions.
- Children’s song sung in Norway (radionz.co.nz)
- Norway Stands Against Breivik (lezgetreal.com)
- Norway uses song as ‘defiant protest’ (scotsman.com)
- Steve Beckow – Norway Refuses To Hate Or Be Afraid – 26 April 2012 (lucas2012infos.wordpress.com)
- Oslo Hate Trial Turns to Street Love Fest (desertpeace.wordpress.com)
- ‘Children of the Rainbow’: 40,000 protest Breivik singing song he hates (PHOTOS) (rt.com)
- Thousands defy Anders Breivik with children’s song in Norway (independent.co.uk)
- Norway Refuses to Hate or Be Afraid (the2012scenario.com)
- In Norway, music drowns out hate – Fridays with Billy. (emilylhauserinmyhead.wordpress.com)
- Thousands sing song of peace to protest Norway killer Breivik (photoblog.msnbc.msn.com)
- Pete Seeger’s Music to Be Featured at Oslo Hate Trial (desertpeace.wordpress.com)
- Thousands defy Norway mass killer Breivik in song (news.yahoo.com)
- Billy Bragg: Anders Breivik’s hatred has been drowned out by Norwegians singing (guardian.co.uk)